Results on monday.
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )            

Results on monday. Expand / Collapse

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
Hi all, I am 38 year old recently diagnosed with OP (Spine -2.5, femoral neck -2.9). recovering really well from spinal fracture. See consultant on monday for results of zillion tests to see if there is an underlying cause for OP at my age. No previous medical history of anything! I am very nervous and am dreading starting bisphosphonates so young. Anyone else out there under 40 taking bisphosphonates? What are the side effects and alternatives? What questions should I be asking?

Andie

andie

Posted 18/03/2012 20:16:17 Post #8356

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member
Hi Andie
Welcome to the forum. I know I am not under 40, but whatever the age, we all have the same problem. You are so young and I in your position would certainly not entertain any Bisphosphonates. Instead I have changed my diet, take a number of additional vits and mins and have started 3 months ago with Protelos. Generally I have done a lot of research as to what to do and what not. There is so much information here, so take some time and look at what you could apply for your situation.
To be honest, when I was first diagnosed some 7 years ago, I probably did not take it all too serious, but believe me, I do now as I am still recovering from 5 spinal fractures. Although the pain was awful, it did give me a good opportunity to do hours of research.

I too have been to various medics with the same question 'WHY me' when there is no family history of OP and nobody will give me an answer except my Kinesiologist came close when he told me that I had Candida (probably for many years due to too much coffee, stress and other things) which prevents the goodness going into my bones. The first thing he told me was to stop all sugar - it is pure poison. Instead I use Xilitol (its just as good as sugar). As I see it now your gut controls what happens to your body, so its is really important to keep to a sensible alkaline diet that suits you.
Hope this helps just a little bit, but there are a lot of people here that have a lot of knowledge and you can ask any question.

Regards
Sieglinde
Posted 19/03/2012 11:47:02 Post #8367

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being
Hello Andie
Like sieglinde I would not consider bisphosonates - whether I was 39 or 59. But deffinately not at such a young age. There is a huge amount that you can do to help your bones not get worse, without taking medication.

The book that I recommend to all new comers on this site is Dr Marilyn Glenville'Osteoporosis How to Treat, prevent and Reverse it'. I felt so relieved after \i had read this book as it made me realise that I was not condemned to OP, but I could help myself.

There is another book by Lara Pizarno called Your Body written by someone who had OP and only used diet/supplements/exercise to help the OP reverse - and suceeded. But I would not recommend this book as a first read, as it does not explain in sufficient detail 'why' your body reacts as it does to certain things like exercise and food.

Exercise is essential in preventing your bones deterioating. But not any old exercise, Any exercise has to devised for people with OP and should not involve twisting, bending, jolting movements. I was recommended something called 'slow burn'. And you can get and exercise referral to your gym to get you started.

SarahW

Tscore Lumbar spine -3.3, Femoral neck -2.6, Hip -2.2
Alkali diet (+ no caffeine/sugar/salt/rhubarb/spinach) and exercise and supplements of Vit D (2,000IUs daily), Vit K2 as MK7, vit K2 Menatetrenone, Cod liver oil.
Posted 19/03/2012 11:49:57 Post #8368

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being
What questions should you be asking? Really not all that sure, but if you have eating disorders as a young person that can result in premature OP. What are your vitamen D levels? Because if they are very low then you will be unable to absorb calcium.

Are you on anti epileptic medication? This can exaccerbate OP.

Sarah (all this info is in Glenville's book!)

Alkali diet (+ no caffeine/sugar/salt/rhubarb/spinach) and exercise and supplements of Vit D (2,000IUs daily), Vit K2 as MK7, vit K2 Menatetrenone, Cod liver oil.
Posted 19/03/2012 20:16:23 Post #8376

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
Hi all, thanks for the replies, I saw consultant today and looks like no underlying cause. Just have it!! Starting me on Alendronate weekly and calcium supplements. I have changed my diet and started walking again now physio says back is strong enough so hopefully it will help. I have got Dr Glenvilles book but find it all a bit overwhelming. With 2 small children trying to make all the dietary changes is hard. I seem to put myself last on list of needs! I will make more of an effort and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks

andie
Posted 21/03/2012 14:41:18 Post #8390

Andie
You have my sympathies especially as you have two children as at first it does seem overwhelming to change your diet- but once I had done it after a couple of months I found that my 'store cupboard' had just changed from 'acid forming food' to alkalising foods.

Cakes/biscuits are back on the menu - but made with xylitol (not sugar) and millet flour ( no wheat flour), cereal are OK as long as you avoid the highly processed ones and stick to ones like Eat natural, which is more delicious than most!

Do try and persevere with the book - cos it will help you working out the right thing for you.

It is easier than it seemed at first - and I hope my bones are benefiting.

SarahW

« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:14pm