"Normal Levels" for Blood Calcium
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )            

"Normal Levels" for Blood Calcium Expand / Collapse

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
I had a blood test recently to check my levels of blood calcium.  This has come back at 2.55mmol.  I had read somewhere that the "normal" levels are 2.20 to 2.55mmol.  Is that correct?

Many thanks

Lis

Posted 23/02/2012 10:52:28 Post #8155

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member
Dear Lis

Thank you for your post asking about reference ranges for blood calcium levels.
If you are talking about a total calcium blood test then a range of around 2.12-2.65mmol/L is the one we quite often refer to. But normal value ranges may vary slightly between different laboratories making it hard to interpret individual results. You will need to check with your doctor what the reference range is for the particular tests the lab used.

Your blood calcium and phosphorus levels are kept at a very precise level by the parathyroid glands. Therefore blood calcium tests are generally taken along with these others to ensure the result is put into context. Overactive parathyroid glands can cause a slight rise in your blood calcium levels but please talk this through with your doctor if you are concerned.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Helpline Nurses
National Osteoporosis Society

« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 10:31pm