Product Design Student Requests Help In Final Year Project
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )            

Product Design Student Requests Help In Final... Expand / Collapse

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
Hello All,

My name is Camilla Whitehead and i'm a final year Product Design student at The University Of The West of England Bristol. For my final project I have chosen to look at the problems faced by people with osteoporosis, specifically regarding the huge numbers of those who break their hips to see if I could design a product which could prevent falling or reduce impact on the hip.

4 years ago, my Granny fell and broke her hip, she spent the rest of her life in hospital as a result of her injury. From my research so far, I have learnt that 1,150 people die every month as a result of a hip fracture, so in my opinion a product needs to be produced to try and decrease these huge numbers.

I have started doing research into products on the market and have only found 'hip protectors' which are built into underwear. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some more in depth research letting me know how sufferers of osteoporosis try and prevent falling, and if there are any other products on the market which you use. If you would like to contact me by email my address is camilla.whitehead@yahoo.co.uk

Any help with this project would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Camilla Whitehead
Posted 22/09/2011 09:07:19 Post #6644

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member
I have not broken a hip (touch wood), but have broken wrist (twice) navicular bone in foot and leg as a child.  However I have tried to take control of my balance by attending Pilates classes twice weekly.  I think there is a huge need for products to help those in pain from hip, and spine fractures and wish you the best of luck in your research.
Posted 27/09/2011 22:43:49 Post #6718

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being
Like SheilB I am a believer in exercise, and I was given balancing exercises to do to help prevent falls.

There is a gap in the market for preventative measures!

Sarah

Tscore Lumbar spine -3.3, Femoral neck -2.6, Hip -2.2
Alkali diet (+ no caffeine/sugar/salt/rhubarb/spinach) and exercise and supplements of Vit D (2,000IUs daily), Vit K2 as MK7, vit K2 Menatetrenone, Cod liver oil.
Posted 29/09/2011 20:44:43 Post #6746

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member
I agree, preventing the falls in the first lace is key! I use a 'wobble board' to strengthen my core and improve my balance. I think one would have to be dressed like a Michelin Man to prevent them otherwise

diagnosed OP at 40, menopause at 42. Intolerant of AA and SR. Got along on Adcal D3, diet and exercise for last ten years. OP worsening. Fractured knee, fibula and shoulder this year. About to commence annual infusion.......
Posted 01/10/2011 16:22:06 Post #6752

I do not think there is anything that one can buy now to protect the hips. The hips protectors are not popular as difficult to put on.... however, Pilates is good, also good sensible footwear, (how boring) and may be contact the falls and fragility fracture liaison nurse in the area for advice.......I don't know where you live, may be visit the local osteoporosis support group, and speak to the committee members, and also physios can advice. best of luck in your work! J xx

Jilly
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 5:33am