Dr Mercola on the dangers of calcium supplements
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )            

12»»

Dr Mercola on the dangers of calcium... Expand / Collapse

Senior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum Member
I'm sure we have already  discussed this, but I think it is still cause for concern as all of use take calcium in some form or other.  I've taken it from the National Osteo. Foundation forum and included my comment.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/15/is-your-calcium-supplement-a-heart-attack-or-stroke-waiting-to-happen.aspx?e_cid=20110815_DNL_art_1

I was originally taking 1000mg of supplement, divided into two doses, on prescription and found that my total daily intake was actually over 2000mg. I had a normal blood calcium level, for what its worth, and I decided to stop the prescription supplement and try to get most of my calcium from food. I have been aiming for a total Ca intake of 1200mg per day. I now wonder whether this is still too much. My doctor is no help over matters like this.

Dr Mercola talks about 500mg of elemental Ca being a potentially dangerous amount.  I take vit D, Mg and vit k2 to hopefully direct the Ca into my bones. I'm on strontium ranelate and like most other OP medications  you are advised to take adequate amounts of Ca. What is adequate?

I've come to the conclusion that Calcium is a female dog, If you have a low blood Ca you at least have an indication that you need a supplement. Whereas a 'normal' calcium level can mean anything. You could even have a raised blood level, but don't know whether it is actually going into your bones or just loitering with intent in your vessels, while it decides whether to play nice, or block an artery!

We can only hope the K2 (mk4 and MK7) are doing their job!

Lynne H

Posted 18/08/2011 10:09:21 Post #6362

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being
Lynne H (16/08/2011)
Dr Mercola talks about 500mg of elemental Ca being a potentially dangerous amount. I take vit D, Mg and vit k2 to hopefully direct the Ca into my bones. I'm on strontium ranelate and like most other OP medications you are advised to take adequate amounts of Ca. What is adequate?

I once telephoned the Strontium Ranelate support helpline about that because I can't take calcium supplements, and they said as long as I was getting adequate calcium from my diet that was fine. I worked out the average amounts of calcium in my food from nutrition tables, this site is good: Nutritiondata.com I worked out I was getting roughly 1000 to 1200mg calcium per day.

Something I always bear in mind is that the calcium in supplements is not easily absorbed, not even calcium citrate, but the calcium in food is in a much more absorbable state, it really is 'natural', and combined with other synergystic minerals and vitamins too

Osteoporosis - Strontium Ranelate, Dekristol vitamin D3 20,000 IU/week, weight lifting, walking and vibration platform exercise, alkaline loaded diet, vitamin K2 MK-7 200mcg/day. Diabetes - Repaglinide, low carb diet and exercise. Congenital heart defect - Omacor and CoQ10. Small airways disease/asthma - Qvar 100. Probable coeliac.
Posted 21/08/2011 18:29:15 Post #6388

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member
Thanks for posting that link Lynne.
I just wish the average GP would bother to read the latest research, rather than carrying on prescribing calcium and vitamin d supplements without checking blood and urine levels first , or, even better, offering nutritional advice to their patients.

I tested my calcium levels recently at the calcium calculator and wasn't really surprised to learn that, if anything, I take too much calcium per day in foodstuffs alone.
Didn't prevent my GP from prescribing more for me though.
Posted 23/08/2011 18:40:44 Post #6401

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
I found that very interesting as I've been given calcium supplements. I only take an 8th of the dose I should as they make me dizzy but I get through a pint of milk a day, have a yogurt most days or an ice cream and eat lots of cheese and oily fish. I really don't think I need to add any more. It's the vitamin D that I think is important because without that you don't absorb the calcium. I agree, gp's just don't seem interested.
Posted 23/08/2011 19:30:09 Post #6402

Senior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum Member
Hi Lazybones

Perhaps if they were paid a bonus for screening/treating OP patients, rather like screening folk for glucose and chloresterol, they would show more interest, or am I just getting cynical with old age?

Lynne H

Posted 23/08/2011 19:43:11 Post #6403

"I've come to the conclusion that Calcium is a female dog, If you have a low blood Ca you at least have an indication that you need a supplement. Whereas a 'normal' calcium level can mean anything. You could even have a raised blood level, but don't know whether it is actually going into your bones or just loitering with intent in your vessels, while it decides whether to play nice, or block an artery!"

I have just looked at my previous posting.  I DID NOT PUT IN FEMALE DOG!  WHY is it unacceptable to use the word B.t.h?  I wasn't calling someone it.    It really P..... me off when our harmless general wording is changed unnessarily?

Lynne H

Posted 24/08/2011 14:37:19 Post #6407

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
Lynne H (23/08/2011)
"I've come to the conclusion that Calcium is a female dog, If you have a low blood Ca you at least have an indication that you need a supplement. Whereas a 'normal' calcium level can mean anything. You could even have a raised blood level, but don't know whether it is actually going into your bones or just loitering with intent in your vessels, while it decides whether to play nice, or block an artery!"

I have just looked at my previous posting.  I DID NOT PUT IN FEMALE DOG!  WHY is it unacceptable to use the word B.t.h?  I wasn't calling someone it.    It really P..... me off when our harmless general wording is changed unnessarily?

LOL Lynne, I'm glad you queried that as I would have wondered what on earth you were on about with the "female dog". Couldn't see anything wrong with the word you wanted to use myself.

Posted 25/08/2011 10:33:25 Post #6417

AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator
I hadn't checked the word filter on the forum. Now only the very worst words are filtered.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dylan Hughes
Website Editor
National Osteoporosis Society
Posted 25/08/2011 17:10:49 Post #6419

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member
HA HA! I too was wondering what on earth this meant! A lot of these "obscene" word filters are automatic so you will often get a case like this because the program cant understand the context only the word. If I know there may be an issue like this I often will get round it by using a number one (1) instead of a letter I, or zero instead of O & so on!
Its also quite fun beating the bot!
Posted 25/08/2011 19:03:55 Post #6420

Hi Dylan

Thanks for altering the word filter.  It was getting a bit silly. 

Lynne H

« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 2:33pm