Strontium Ranelate
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )            

Strontium Ranelate Expand / Collapse

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
I have been taking strontium ranelate for five weeks now and am finding not being able to drink for two hours before taking and two hours after rather difficult.  I understand that water is OK or black coffee but is there anythng else that is suitable.
Posted 15/02/2011 15:03:31 Post #3920

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member
WINE is ok lol!
Posted 15/02/2011 20:33:07 Post #3929

Senior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum MemberSenior Forum Member
Hi Jennypenny

I take strontium citrate during the night when I get up to go to the loo, usually between 3 and 4am.   If I wanted more liquid I would just drink more water, its not much of a problem during the night.

Lynne H

Posted 17/02/2011 11:44:48 Post #3944

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Dear Jennypenny

Thank you for your post. This is a question the nurses are asked frequently.

According to the drug manufacturer no research has specifically looked at the extent to which strontium ranelate can be used by the body when it is taken at the same time of day as a cup of tea/coffee (without milk) or any drink other than water. What is unclear is whether drinks other than water might affect the absorption of the strontium ranelate. The manufacturers have stated that the acidity of fruit juices and fizzy drinks could possibly cause the strontium to form a solid which may then reduce the drug’s absorption. Potentially then some drinks could affect the absorption and effectiveness of the treatment, but water will not.

It would therefore be a personal decision whether to have a cup of tea/coffee within 2 hours of taking strontium ranelate and as there is also no specific information about drinking alcohol when taking strontium ranelate it would again then be a matter of personal choice.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Helpline Nurses
National Osteoporosis Society

« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 9:04pm