AlgaeCal 'natural' treatment
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )            

12345»»»

AlgaeCal 'natural' treatment Expand / Collapse

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie
Hi,  just read an interesting article on :  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/82191.php entitled 'AlgaeCal Natural Osteoporisis treatment is a big success' -  has anyone ever tried this treatment from America? be interested to know and/or what anyone thinks about the www.betterbones .  Are these things worth a try, you never know who you can trust these days!

Thanks for reading,

Sue

Posted 07/05/2009 13:19:07 Post #204

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being
Hi Sue,

I think the Betterbones website is really good. Tons of information about diet and the principles of an alkaline one which is very helpful. They also recommend Strontium which is what I'm prescribed so I'm always happy when I find a website recommending it !

I've not tried the AlgaeCal, I'm very intolerant to calcium supplements, have tried many and they have immediate bad effect on me. I find I can get plenty of calcium and other synergistic minerals from foods. Since I don't eat dairy, the foods I eat which are calcium rich are kale, cabbage, broccoli, and other greens, almonds, sesame, and sardines with bones. I try to make sure that I absorb the calcium in foods by avoiding those foods with oxalates and phytates in them. I also take high dose vitamin D3. My endocrinologist does six monthly blood tests to make sure my levels of serum D, calcium and alkaline phosphatase are good so I know I'm getting good amounts of these minerals and D.

Anne

Osteoporosis - Strontium Ranelate, Dekristol vitamin D3 20,000 IU/week, weight lifting, walking and vibration platform exercise, alkaline loaded diet, vitamin K2 MK-7 200mcg/day. Diabetes - Repaglinide, low carb diet and exercise. Congenital heart defect - Omacor and CoQ10. Small airways disease/asthma - Qvar 100. Probable coeliac.
Posted 12/05/2009 08:26:03 Post #214

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member
Hi There

I have been taking Algaecal and Strontium Citrate for nine months now after searching for alternatives to Alendronic acid (bisophosphnate) which I didn't like the idea of.
I initially jumped in out of desperation as the NHS in particular has few alternatives for men. Couldn't even get advice on exercise from my local authority. I'm still seeing it out for the year but the more I think about if there is any improvement is most likely to be from the Strontium Boost that they casually suggest you take alongside.
As well as the above I take a daily dose of prunes, other fruit and veg and have added weight training to my exercise regime.
Unfortunately until my next dexa scan I can't say if any of this has any benefit for me.
Posted 13/05/2009 08:38:08 Post #215

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being
Caff55 - it's rotten that you can't get a prescription for Strontium. When I saw my endocrinologist in February we discussed osteoporosis treatments and NICE guidance and he told me that there was no medical reason why men with osteoporosis can't be prescribed Strontium Ranelate but it's just it hasn't been 'approved' for them.

Although my GP gave me an exercise referral to a gym, this was only after I had found out myself about exercise and weight lifting specifically for osteoporosis and had asked him for the referral - I found out about GP exercise referrals from a book about diabetes ! I also found out all I know about nutrition for osteoporosis myself too, I'm afraid that generally the medical establishment is very 'medicine' only based. Even the dietician at my GP's practice was very unknowledgable about diet and osteoporosis and insisted that dairy foods were the only sources of calcium

Anne

Osteoporosis - Strontium Ranelate, Dekristol vitamin D3 20,000 IU/week, weight lifting, walking and vibration platform exercise, alkaline loaded diet, vitamin K2 MK-7 200mcg/day. Diabetes - Repaglinide, low carb diet and exercise. Congenital heart defect - Omacor and CoQ10. Small airways disease/asthma - Qvar 100. Probable coeliac.
Posted 10/09/2009 15:34:20 Post #535

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member
I have been taking AlgaeCal for about a year .

I had my latest bone density test results back last week and the Consultant Rheumatologist said that he had never seen such an improvement in bone density!

My AP Spine(L1-L4) T-Score had improved by 38.4% (0.581 to 0.804; -4.6 to -2.6) and my Total Hip(Right) had improved by 17.6% (0.584 to 0.687; -3.0 to -2.3).

My consultant is head of Rheumatology at a major London Hospital and about 60 years old so he has seen an endless number of people with osteoporosis.

I showed him the calcium I am taking (the AlgaeCal Plus and Strontium Boost) and he confirmed that the improvement is all to do with getting the calcium I need along with certain vitamins that are included in the supplement. He didn’t mention the strontium but I am sure that is helping as well.

I think this is a really good product and would be interested to hear if other people have tried it and been measured for bone density improvement.

Their web site is: www.algaecal.com

Posted 10/09/2009 18:38:53 Post #540

Hi JC,

That's wonderful your bone density has increased so much Not to put the dampers on, but I hope that the radiologist who reported your bone density results did the adjustments needed when a person has been taking strontium.

I take strontium but the radiologist who reported my results did not make the appropriate adjustments, despite me making sure that she knew I was taking strontium, and so it looked like my bone density had increased much more than it really had. Luckily I knew that adjustments needed to be made as the NOS helpline nurses had told me and so did some websites on the internet, and so I got on to the radiologist and she re-did my report. In a person taking strontium, up to 50% of the bone density increase is 'artefactual' rather than real because strontium is a heavier element than calcium and so it makes bones look denser than they really are on DEXA scans.

all the best,
Anne

Posted 11/09/2009 09:40:50 Post #544

Thanks Anne.

Looking this up on the internet it seems to say that taking Strontium can result in improvements in bone density of 8-14%, so even discounting that the results are good.

Also my consultant had not seen results so good even with patients taking Strontium.

Sorry if this is sounding like a bit of an advert! But I think it's important to say if you have found something helpful.

All the best, John

Posted 11/09/2009 10:33:21 Post #545

Hi John,

Absolutely, I think it's good to say if you've found something helpful. I didn't mean not to sound like I didn't. i think that Strontium has a profoundly good effect on bone density even discounting it's artefactual effect - my bone density, particularly in my spine, has also increased greatly due to the Strontium (plus calcium, vitamin D and exercise). You'd said in your previous post that your consultant hadn't mentioned the strontium so that's why I was drawing your attention to the strontium effect.

all the best,
Anne

Posted 11/09/2009 11:11:56 Post #547

Thanks Anne. I'm glad you are pro-Strontium as I'm pretty sure sure it really helps. Which calcium and strontium products have you found helpful?
Posted 11/09/2009 12:38:30 Post #548

Hi John,

For strontium I take Strontium Ranelate, I've been taking it for just over 2 1/2 years now.

For calcium, I'm highly intolerant to supplements of it, whether they're supplements from the doctor or supplements from the health food shop, but I'm able to have a high calcium diet even though I do not tolerate dairy products. My consultant says I get more than enough calcium via my diet - I get roughly 1,200 mg per day from food. The food I eat will also contain magnesium and other vitamins and minerals in the right synergistic proportions and it's a very alkaline diet which helps stop calcium loss.

I also take vitamin D3, currently 2,000 ius per day in a gelcap, and I get my levels of 25(OH)D checked regularly by my consultant and the dose of D3 adjusted as necessary. They're finding out more and more how important vitamin D is for health and for osteoporosis !

all the best,
Anne

« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 8:31pm